The U.S. and the European Union are entering a new era of transatlantic dialogue on agricultural innovation for a sustainable food system with both nations setting the ambitious objective to become carbon-neutral by 2050.
The American Seed Trade Association (ASTA) and Euroseeds jointly hosted a webinar Tuesday aimed at promoting dialogue between EU and U.S. stakeholders focused on how increased cooperation in scientific research and agricultural innovation can accelerate the transition towards a sustainable food system on both sides of the Atlantic.
ASTA and Euroseeds have 30 members in common and they closely cooperate within several working bodies of the International Seed Federation (ISF).
Taking part in the discussion were:
– Mr. John Clarke, Director, International Relations, DG AGRI, European Commission
– Dr. Matin Qaim, Director, Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn, Germany
– Dr. Chavonda Jacobs-Young, Acting Chief Scientist of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
– Mr. Doug McKalip, Senior Advisor to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
– Ms. Veronika Vrecionová, Member of the European Parliament
Moderated by George Lyon, former Member of the European Parliament and Senior Consultant at Hume Brophy.ASTA-EU Webinar - opening statements (38:23) ASTA-EU Webinar - discussion (28:59)